The Domino Effect: Finding Role Inward Life's Surprises

As a child, my sis together with I played a lot alongside dominoes - lining them up, cursing (don't worry - simply "darn" together with "drat" at that age!) when they fell down prematurely together with clapping when all the dominoes collapsed according to plan.

During this last week, though, I've been thinking to a greater extent than well-nigh dominoes...but inwards the shape of the Domino Effect. Basically, the starting grad school inwards 5 brusk months.

 prematurely together with clapping when all the dominoes collapsed according to  The Domino Effect: Finding Purpose inwards Life's Surprises

In a way, I suppose my story starts over 5 years agone on a plane. I wasn't there, but my grandma was, flight from Houston, Texas to see us inwards sunny Poway, California. She talked to a woman across the aisle well-nigh a small, Christian college called Point Loma Nazarene University. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 few weeks later, nosotros drove upward to see - nosotros figured, "Why not?" I loved the school's size together with views, received an academic scholarship and, suddenly, I was a PLNU student.

But my storey also starts inwards a doctor's office, inwards May of 2013. I'd been losing weight, battling constant acid reflux together with feeling to a greater extent than tired than usual - but I never expected celiac disease to acquire inwards the picture. When I heard the tidings from my doctor, I didn't fifty-fifty know how to spell "gluten." Yet, my mom helped me last the first grocery trip where nosotros had to read ingredient labels. Yet, my dad reminded me I was rigid together with beautiful fifty-fifty every bit I was hospitalized for celiac complications. Yet, I started a blog weeks after my diagnosis because I couldn't uncovering many blogs well-nigh going to college alongside celiac illness was actually like...and I've been writing here always since.

 prematurely together with clapping when all the dominoes collapsed according to  The Domino Effect: Finding Purpose inwards Life's Surprises
Gluten complimentary for the win!
That ane bird ride - together with that ane medical diagnosis - changed everything, y'all could say. At PLNU, I learned how to laid upward because my college cafeteria couldn't render celiac-safe, gluten complimentary meals. I picked 4 random acquaintances - usual friends, Meghan together with Brooke; biological scientific discipline shape BFF, Hannah; dainty daughter across the hall, Sarah - to live with inwards an on-campus apartment (so I could lead hold my ain kitchen)...and I industrial plant life 4 good friends inwards the process. I brutal inwards dear alongside a man child - together with was blindsided past times a breakup nearly 2 years into our relationship.

The balance of that semester - having four classes alongside my ex - was ane of the hardest. Yet, looking back, it was also the start of together with therefore many beautiful opportunities.

The same nighttime he said it was over, I started a grad schoolhouse spreadsheet. Suddenly, I was free of my ties to California...and I decided to apply to grad schools all over the U.S.

 prematurely together with clapping when all the dominoes collapsed according to  The Domino Effect: Finding Purpose inwards Life's Surprises
Read all my writing for Entity Magazine here!

Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 few weeks later, alongside too much time on my hands, I added my resume to an internships website. Influenza A virus subtype H5N1 few days later, I was contacted past times Entity Magazine - would I live interested inwards helping launch a magazine all well-nigh empowering women? I wasn't looking for a summertime internship, but I said yes. And I said yes over again when I received the chance to serve every bit Entity's Senior Editor after I graduated college.

Months after the breakup, I fifty-fifty met someone else. I wasn't looking - all I wanted to create was graduate from PLNU together with movement onto the side past times side adventure - but nosotros industrial plant life each other anyway. I learned more well-nigh what I actually needed from a partner together with what I wasn't getting from my first relationship. I discovered that at that topographic point actually are other fish inwards the sea, together with that going alongside the flow tin assist y'all uncovering them. And piece distance way we've agreed to locomote just friends, I know the adept memories together with lessons from this human relationship volition stick alongside me.

 prematurely together with clapping when all the dominoes collapsed according to  The Domino Effect: Finding Purpose inwards Life's Surprises
The sneaky "take a photograph piece they convey a photo" shot...
That latter phrase - "good memories together with lessons volition stick alongside me" - is truthful of every component subdivision of my journey. When all the grad schoolhouse responses were tallied, I was rejected past times a whopping 10 schools...and accepted (with a full-tuition-waiver together with stipend) past times one.

Would I lead hold gotten into Minnesota State University, Mankato without the operate experience of Entity? The literary passion together with writing portfolio fostered past times my teachers at PLNU? The support of my college friends together with family? The heartbreak-fueled liberty to simply chase my dreams, wherever grad schoolhouse powerfulness convey me? I honestly can't say.

I tin say, though, that college, celiac disease, relationships, my showtime full-time job together with the grad schoolhouse application procedure has forced me to grow inwards together with therefore many to a greater extent than ways than I always imagined. I've been pushed - sometimes to the breaking indicate - but I've also been remolded into a stronger, to a greater extent than passionate, confident version of myself.

 prematurely together with clapping when all the dominoes collapsed according to  The Domino Effect: Finding Purpose inwards Life's Surprises
Outside our yoga studio concluding weekend...
I had no idea what whatever of these (sometimes small) decisions would trigger. All I know? I'm going to keep maxim yes - to MSU Mankato, to pedagogy my showtime college class, to having my own apartment - together with I'm excited to come across what domino volition autumn next.


*Also industrial plant life at Flaunt it Friday, Inspiration Monday, What'd You Do This Weekend*

What is ane domino inwards your life that brutal together with triggered to a greater extent than or less amazing opportunities? Tell me your stories!
0 Komentar untuk "The Domino Effect: Finding Role Inward Life's Surprises"

Back To Top