Why My Diet Is To A Greater Extent Than Various Every Bit A Gluten Gratuitous Celiac

Even though it's been 4 years since my celiac diagnosis, i question ever seems to popular upward when I come across somebody new. Something like: "You can't consume gluten? What practice yous fifty-fifty eat!?!"

Whether it's celiac disease, a nutrient allergy or a lifestyle selection similar going paleo or vegan, "limitation" seems to live the mutual denominator. If yous can't consume something, yous diet exactly must live insanely restrictive. And inwards for certain aspects, that's true

However, I direct keep a unlike side of the story to tell. In fact, my diet has to a greater extent than variety than ever since I went gluten free. How tin less ingredients hateful to a greater extent than dietary diversity? And how tin yous add together some spice to your life, fifty-fifty if yous direct keep nutrient restrictions?

 ever seems to popular upward when I come across somebody novel Why My Diet is More Diverse As a Gluten Free Celiac

Here's 4 reasons why I'm eating more types of nutrient than ever...after celiac forced me to travel gluten free

1. You're forced to acquire creative inwards the kitchen.

How many times direct keep yous reached for the same ingredients or followed the same enchilada recipe that's been passed downward inwards your family for centuries...or maybe it's exactly an American classic similar grilled cheese that you've never bothered to brand your own. 

When an entire food group gets kicked to the (dietary) curb, beingness creative inwards the kitchen isn't a privilege; it's a necessity. You direct keep to uncovering novel tortillas - gustatory modality testing everything from potato-based Potapas to your ain paleo Cassava creations to uncomplicated rice tortillas from
Food for Life - to supervene upon the flour ones you've used for years. You may fifty-fifty direct keep to elbow grease entire novel recipes, experimenting amongst unusual names similar buckwheat groats, chia seeds in addition to coconut oil

The truth is, earlier I was diagnosed, I could cook unopen to iii meals: a baked potato, boxed mac n' cheese in addition to whatever baked good that came amongst instructions. Being forced to travel gluten costless every bit good forced me to travel out my comfort zone of meat-potatoes-and-the-odd veggie. I wouldn't telephone telephone myself a chef...but I practice know how to pronounce quinoa correctly! 

 ever seems to popular upward when I come across somebody novel Why My Diet is More Diverse As a Gluten Free Celiac
My second-to-last non-GF birthday!
2. You direct keep the best motivator ever to elbow grease novel (naturally gluten free) foods. 

Maybe you've been gluten costless for years, or maybe it's exclusively been a few days since your edible ground was thrown upside down. Either way, it's the perfect fourth dimension to convey a field trip to your local grocery store's produce aisle. 

I direct keep another confession to make. Pre diagnosis, I had never tried avocado, kale, zucchini, squash, chickpeas in addition to countless other foods. I turned upward my olfactory organ at sweetness Irish Gaelic patato in addition to ate a smoothie in i lawsuit a year, if non less (how times direct keep changed!). I ate a lot of nutrient inwards damage of volume...but most of it cruel inside the realm of processed foods, canned vegetables in addition to "stick-to-your-ribs" meat in addition to potatoes. 

But, when then many of my sometime go-to's were made off limits, I discovered something: in that location was a rainbow of naturally gluten costless options exactly waiting to live tasted. Sure, maybe your diet was to a greater extent than well-rounded than mine earlier yous went gluten free. However, there's likely all the same i or 2 unique pieces of make - ranging from dragonfruit to majestic sweetness potatoes to jicama to beets - that yous haven't regarding including inwards your diet

 ever seems to popular upward when I come across somebody novel Why My Diet is More Diverse As a Gluten Free Celiac
Some of my favorite novel finds...
It's impossible to non grieve for the foods - and, perchance fifty-fifty to a greater extent than so, the ease of eating - that you've lost. Heck, sometimes I all the same smell my dad or sister's gluten-stuffed repast in addition to and wishing I could sneak a bite. But the to a greater extent than adventurous yous acquire amongst rubber foods, the less restrictive your diet volition feel. 

I tin right away tell that I consume zucchini, spaghetti squash, radishes, buckwheat, rice flakes, figs, avocado in addition to countless other foods I'd never fifty-fifty heard of on a daily basis. And I direct keep celiac - in addition to the express diet it gave me - to thank

3. You're in accuse of your ain nutrient safety...

I've talked before nearly how much trust it takes to thrive amongst celiac disease. You direct keep to trust eatery chefs to avoid cross contamination in addition to trust your meaning other to brush their teeth earlier kissing you. However, the security of your nutrient actually lies by in addition to large inside you - in addition to the to a greater extent than yous know nearly food, the safer you'll be. 

For instance, I know that couscous in addition to seitan are made of direct wheat...and when I've been offered samples or direct keep seen them at the Whole Foods bar, it's slow to speedily plough them down or walk away. I know that gluten tin hide inwards anything from soup to BBQ sauce to dressings. And, because of that knowledge, I don't consume something thinking it "should be" or "probably is" gluten free. 

 ever seems to popular upward when I come across somebody novel Why My Diet is More Diverse As a Gluten Free Celiac

When I was showtime diagnosed, food transformed from tasty, enjoyable fuel to something scary - in addition to fifty-fifty dangerous. Food could literally kill me, in addition to I didn't experience prepare to convey that responsibility. Ironically enough, though, celiac has taught me to a greater extent than nearly nutrition, nutrient labels in addition to dietary wellness than my high schoolhouse or college nutrition classes ever did. And the to a greater extent than I learned, the to a greater extent than confident I became inwards exploring novel foods in addition to cuisines. 

Yes, nutrient tin live frightening when yous direct keep celiac, a nutrient allergy or intense intolerance. But in i lawsuit you've educated yourself on what yous tin or can't eat, you're closer to feeling empowered plenty to expand your diet every bit much every bit possible. 

4. ...and you're inwards command of how restrictive yous actually desire your diet to be. 

On that same note, you're every bit good in accuse of how restrictive yous desire your diet to be. This sentiment has peculiarly been on my heed inwards the final few weeks, thank yous to the Whole30 movement. Every fourth dimension Whole30 comes up, I can't halt myself from wondering, "Is that what I demand to do? I'm eating more processed foods in addition to saccharide lately...maybe going amount turkey is what my tum actually needs."

At the same time, though, I know I don't need to jump on the Whole30 train. I'm healthy, my tum has to a greater extent than proficient days than bad, and, to live honest, my diet is already freakin' restrictive enough. I never direct keep gluten, rarely direct keep dairy in addition to oftentimes steer away from soy. Some of those choices are medically necessary; others exactly manage me experience my best. I would never tell everyone should consume similar I do, but it plant for me.

 ever seems to popular upward when I come across somebody novel Why My Diet is More Diverse As a Gluten Free Celiac
Some of my favorite eats...
The indicate of that two-paragraph rant? Basically, when yous realize yous are inwards command of your ain diet, yous may experience similar yous direct keep more dietary options than ever. Despite my limitations, I direct keep plenty recipes bookmarked to final my whole life (though, to live honest, I'll likely never brand them all). And, despite whatever limitations yous have, your diet exclusively has every bit much variety every bit yous work for. 

That may hateful putting extra fourth dimension in addition to energy into finding the perfect nut butter replacement for peanut butter, a breakfast that tastes similar oatmeal but is costless of oats or sometime identify unit of measurement comfort food (mac n' cheese anyone?) that fits your novel restrictions. But, at the goal of the day, this fourth dimension in addition to unloosen energy is worth it when it makes your everyday life experience that much to a greater extent than free. 

When you're determined in addition to excited nearly adding some novel foods to your life, celiac ain't cipher to a greater extent than than a pocket-sized speed bump

Even though I am constantly asked nearly what I actually eat, I've yet to perfect my answer. Sometimes it's, "Everything - every bit long every bit it doesn't direct keep gluten or dairy." Other times, I exactly express mirth in addition to say, "You'd live surprised." 

Because, if these by 4 years direct keep taught me anything, it's that my weekly repast excogitation tin all the same boast plenty of gluten costless surprises. Heck, I all the same direct keep a long arrive at of foods or recipes I demand to try, from a cashew cheese sauce to pistachios (one of my favorite hobbies sophomore twelvemonth was shocking my foodie roommate amongst the foods I'd never tasted. I'd you're reading this, Bri, I tin experience your disapproving glance from here!).

 ever seems to popular upward when I come across somebody novel Why My Diet is More Diverse As a Gluten Free Celiac
An honest portrayal of my 2 truthful loves: Sunflower butter in addition to homemade granola!
In a lot of ways, I'm fifty-fifty thankful for the diet celiac has given me. I'm eating healthier than ever earlier (at to the lowest degree inwards damage of getting more veggies and less cerise meat, saccharide in addition to un-pronounceable ingredients). I'm every bit good eating a bigger variety of foods than I ever imagined. 

So, if you're feeling similar your diet is dwindling later a medical diagnosis, I empathize your pain. But I every bit good direct keep come upward to empathize that we're the masters of our (foodie) fates inwards a lot of ways. 

And the first fourth dimension yous elbow grease a new, delicious nutrient that every bit good fits inside your novel diet? Let's exactly tell that there's cipher sweeter than that. 



Have yous ever flora your diet expanding later it acquire to a greater extent than limited? What's your favorite play a trick on to add together to a greater extent than variety to a medically restricted diet? I'm ever looking for novel inspiration! 
0 Komentar untuk "Why My Diet Is To A Greater Extent Than Various Every Bit A Gluten Gratuitous Celiac"

Back To Top