4 Secrets Moving Across The Dry Soil Taught Me Nigh Thriving Amongst Celiac Illness

For many people, the New Year is equivalent to change. H5N1 novel date to write on their papers. Some novel goals too dreams for the blank slate that is 365 novel days. For this college celiac, though, the "newness" of 2017 began a few weeks early on when I flew into Colorado.

Let's simply tell that every bit shortly every bit I stepped into the concluding too saw my breath, I knew I wasn't inwards California anymore. 

While I've definitely loved getting to see my family too existence "home" (though it's a different 1 for me), adjusting to Colorado hasn't been without its challenges. And every bit I was freezing at the local zoo a few nights ago, I realized: I could tell the same nearly celiac disease

 And every bit I was freezing at the local zoo a few nights agone 4 Secrets Moving Across the Country Taught Me About Thriving amongst Celiac Disease


In fact, the to a greater extent than I idea nearly it, the harder it hitting me: moving across the country actually taught me 4 secrets that brand thriving amongst celiac illness - or whatever chronic illness - to a greater extent than possible than ever inwards 2017.

1. Prepare for success or ready to despair.

Okay, this tip may audio a piddling corny too dramatic at start glance. However, when training tin brand the difference betwixt happiness too hurting - fifty-fifty life or decease - I intend a piddling exaggeration is warranted

The truth is, when I landed inwards Denver airport, I wasn't prepared for the -10 marker weather. All I had were San Diego clothes that I layered every bit much every bit possible...so, when I stood exterior for 5 minutes waiting for my shuttle, it's no surprise that my glove-less fingers started to go numb too I started crying from pain. 

 And every bit I was freezing at the local zoo a few nights agone 4 Secrets Moving Across the Country Taught Me About Thriving amongst Celiac Disease
The most piteous of all selfies...
Living amongst celiac illness is similar inwards a lot of ways. If y'all don't swallow beforehand or convey your own food, the pizza political party amongst friends volition in all probability experience to a greater extent than torturous than fun. If y'all don't receive got a list of easy recipes or frozen meals for when fourth dimension gets rough, y'all may goal upwardly crossing your fingers too eating out at a less-than-celiac-safe eatery instead. 

It's at in 1 trial been over three years since my celiac diagnosis, too I've come upwardly encompass the fact that patch I'm low-maintenance in many ways, nutrient isn't 1 of them. I ever receive got a bar inwards my purse, food prep whenever possible too telephone telephone restaurants ahead of fourth dimension to inquire nearly their gluten costless protocol

I tin survive weather condition inwards the negatives amongst the correct amount of coats, gloves too layers. In the same spirit, I  - too anyone - tin thrive amongst celiac illness every bit long every bit we've curved our c's too dotted our i's.

2. Keep trying new things.

Maybe you're a training ninja. Your handbag mimics Mary Poppins' (if she had celiac illness or an addiction to gluten costless snacks too meds, anyway) too y'all never forget to read your ingredient labels. Even later y'all uncovering a routine that industrial plant for you, though, y'all should go on experimenting

A few days later I got home, I felt similar I was doing purty dang well at edifice upwardly a wintertime wardrobe. Long underwear? Check. Thick fuzzy socks? Check. Scarf, hat, gloves too and thus many layers, I lose count? Check, cheque too check. Yet, when nosotros went to run into the Christmas lights at our local zoo 1 night, I felt similar I was naked. The bitter mutual frigidity seeped correct through my 4 layers - too it freakin' hurt

The lesson I learned? Well, start of all, ever lay on one more layer than y'all intend y'all need. But to a greater extent than importantly, go on looking for novel ways to improve your life - similar fleece leggings too a wintertime shirt specially designed for insulation. 


 And every bit I was freezing at the local zoo a few nights agone 4 Secrets Moving Across the Country Taught Me About Thriving amongst Celiac Disease
My confront almost froze similar that (bonus points if y'all realized it was an fauna eye)
In the yesteryear years, I've similarly kept tweaking my gluten costless diet to run into what works for me. Yes to probiotics, no to tomatoes. Yes to minor amounts of sweet potatoes but definitely no to butternut squash. I'm extremely fortunate to acquire to partner amongst companies too endeavor novel products that way. However, experimenting every bit a celiac tin also live every bit simple every bit buying the novel GF cereal that's on sale 1 calendar week or trying a restaurant amongst raving reviews on the Find Me Gluten Free app.  

Celiac disease, yesteryear nature, is restrictive. It limits what nosotros tin eat, what products nosotros tin use and, many times, how nosotros choose to socialize or alive our lives. Through experimentation, y'all tin take back a piddling of your command - too mayhap brand your life fifty-fifty to a greater extent than awesome than before. 

3. Accept - fifty-fifty encompass - moments of discomfort.

Sometimes, though, discomfort is unavoidable. Even in 1 trial I acquire or too thus crazy warm clothing, in that place volition withal live days I'm cold. That's simply a fact created yesteryear my cold-blooded nature (my sis inherited my dad's natural furnace abilities) too Colorado's mutual frigidity weather. But that's non going to halt me from enjoying myself too the beautiful Colorado scenery

Because, honestly, the discomfort is minimal when compared to the joy I acquire from exploring the outdoors. I acquire to run into huge groups of deer chillin' inwards a yard across our street. I tin revisit the nearby river I loved to walk to this yesteryear summer too run into the icy designs wintertime has drawn on the water. My cheeks go frozen inwards a smile - only partly because of the brittle wind. 

 And every bit I was freezing at the local zoo a few nights agone 4 Secrets Moving Across the Country Taught Me About Thriving amongst Celiac Disease
A chip chillier of backgrounds!
The longer I've been diagnosed, the easier it is to apply the same mindset to celiac disease. Sometimes, I'm going to attend parties too feel left out, fifty-fifty though I've brought my ain nutrient to enjoy. Sometimes I'll fifty-fifty lead to avoid social events (like I did amongst Thanksgiving) because I don't desire to bargain amongst the nutrient offers, my polite rejections too the resulting questions. And sometimes my tum volition freak out for absolutely no reason, too I'll hate that celiac illness keeps me from eating anything similar a "normal" 20-something. 

But these bittersweet minute are becoming fewer too further inwards between. I've surrounded myself amongst people who care nearly me too not nearly my dietary differences. I've educated my friends too thus they know what to expect, from my nutrient to my finicky stomach. I've learned that celiac disease, for amend or for worse, is business office of my identity...and that needing to swallow gluten costless doesn't brand me whatever less of a bad ass

4. Know that practise makes progress - non perfect.

You've heard the cliche before, whether nearly your 5th marker math worksheet or challenges at your novel job: Practice makes perfect. I'm sad to ruin your fairytale ending, but I've discovered that advice isn't alone accurate. My parents receive got lived inwards Colorado Springs since July, too they're withal discovering enough of challenges nearly living inwards a snowy environment. Like: H2O ice may non melt for weeks, too thus y'all postulate shoes that won't slide. Like: stock upwardly on food earlier a snowfall tempest because y'all may non leave the solid for a few days. 

 And every bit I was freezing at the local zoo a few nights agone 4 Secrets Moving Across the Country Taught Me About Thriving amongst Celiac Disease
Our household unit of measurement photograph this year
Even later years of practice, I'm 100% not the "perfect" celiac. I lately discovered the probiotic I used for months contains gluten; since it was gluten costless the start fourth dimension I bought it, I never bothered to check the element listing again. The truth is, I'm human. I brand mistakes - too patch mistakes should live avoided every bit much every bit possible when it comes to eating gluten free, I also won't beat myself upwardly for it. 

Because amongst every misstep comes a lesson. I nearly froze at the zoo; I postulate to purchase clothe specifically designed for winter. I glutened myself amongst a production I "trusted"; I postulate to non accept GF for granted too always scan the element list. My goal isn't to live perfect - every bit a celiac or a snowfall survivalist. Instead, it's to live too do better than before

This New Year, y'all may receive got a lot of worthwhile goals y'all desire to cheque off your list. Maybe it's losing or gaining weight, or maybe y'all desire to pass more time amongst household unit of measurement too less on your phone. Whatever you're striving for inwards 2017, simply remember: the secrets to thriving inwards life oftentimes emerge from (even seemingly unrelated) challenges. 

 And every bit I was freezing at the local zoo a few nights agone 4 Secrets Moving Across the Country Taught Me About Thriving amongst Celiac Disease
Walking inwards a wintertime wonderland...
Or, inwards my case, the secrets to thriving amongst celiac illness may emerge from or too thus really cold, Colorado-livin' feet!


*Also constitute at Dare to Share!*


Have y'all ever moved? What lessons did y'all learn? Comment below!


0 Komentar untuk "4 Secrets Moving Across The Dry Soil Taught Me Nigh Thriving Amongst Celiac Illness"

Back To Top