To Honor Me, You Lot Bespeak To Honor My Disease

I am not my affliction - but to honor me, you lot demand to respect my affliction too.

This is the realization that flashed through my hear this weekend every bit I read a her ain snacks - plenty for everyone. Her friend's begetter fifty-fifty gave out "gluten free" cupcakes - alone they weren't. And when she gets sick, all he tin state is that the gluten costless fad is "all inwards her head" anyway. Even worse? He afterwards tells that girl's mom his miss deserves "normal" friends.

 that flashed through my hear this weekend every bit I read a  To Respect Me, You Need to Respect My Disease

There are too thence many things wrong amongst this story, but the lawsuit that stuck out to me was the pure lack of respect from this father. And, the to a greater extent than I persuasion of my own struggles with vicious comments well-nigh celiac affliction or my diet, the to a greater extent than I realized they all convey ane trait inwards common: respect.

If you lot honor me, you lot don't...

...steal a slice of food off of my gluten costless plate or consume my gluten costless leftovers without asking. My affliction requires this diet too the assume that gluten costless nutrient grows on trees or that nosotros consume for cheap.

...assume that we're eating gluten costless at a restaurant because of a "fad" instead of a medical disability too non follow proper cross contamination protocol.

 that flashed through my hear this weekend every bit I read a  To Respect Me, You Need to Respect My Disease
Dairy costless H2O ice cream from Disney World! And yes...I ate it ALL!
...equate celiac affliction amongst thinness. I am thin. I convey celiac disease. Those 2 are correlated, but ane doesn't necessarily cause the other. Some celiacs are overweight. People tin consume gluten too nonetheless last healthy. So don't state I'm "lucky" to convey celiac affliction because I'm skinny or that it's OK that I convey to stare enviously at the staff of life handbasket because at to the lowest degree I'm thin.

...make me experience guilty for having a "high maintenance" or "picky" diet, fifty-fifty though I convey zero control over my autoimmune disease.

...get mad at me for non beingness able to consume "gluten free" baked goods that you lot made yourself but peradventure cross contaminated amongst gluten-containing pots, cooking tools or a kitchen.

...point out how "weird" or different my diet is, fifty-fifty amongst a backhanded compliment like, "Wow! That looks so...healthy." I appreciate involvement inwards my food, but sometimes it's improve to exactly permit me experience similar I'm exactly one of the girls enjoying a pizza too moving-picture demo night.

 that flashed through my hear this weekend every bit I read a  To Respect Me, You Need to Respect My Disease
Even if my pizza looks a trivial different...
...be inflexible because, sometimes, I'm going to demand to alter plans. I'm going to last glutened or convey an upset stomach. I'm going to last extra tired from a fibromyalgia flare. Sure, it's non ideal - but it's me.

...deny my correct to parent my ain child. Maybe my kid has a gluten allergy or celiac disease; maybe he or she exactly functions better on a restricted diet. Either way, don't permit your preconceived notions well-nigh a sure enough diet interfere amongst my parenting fashion or my child's well-being.

...lie to me well-nigh nutrient ingredients. Would you lot tell somebody amongst a peanut allergy that your brownies are peanut costless since they "only convey a little" too "that couldn't hurt"?

...see me every bit less worthy of befriending, dating or loving because I'm non "easy" or "normal."

 that flashed through my hear this weekend every bit I read a  To Respect Me, You Need to Respect My Disease
Lots of beloved during my college graduation...
I experience fortunate that I've never experienced the bullying that this immature miss has - only because she's gluten free. The fact that it occurred from an adult - a figure children are told to trust - is fifty-fifty worse. For me, this scenario is exactly just about other reason why members of the gluten costless community demand to advocate for themselves 24/7.

We don't exactly deserve respect - nosotros demand to demand it. And non exactly honor for ourselves, either, but honor for the disease that is constituent of our everyday life too identity.


*Also linked to Create Link Inspire, Wow Me Wednesday, RunningwithSpoons, Share Fest*

How practise you lot create practise dorsum against vicious comments or bullying for your gluten costless diet or disease? Tell me your ideas below!


0 Komentar untuk "To Honor Me, You Lot Bespeak To Honor My Disease"

Back To Top